To meet consumer demands, new services and technologies such as 5G, LTE, PON, IoT and cloud services are launched with an increasing pace. New developments such as "autonomous vehicles", "augmented reality", "robotics" require flexible and programmable network functions. At the same time, the bandwidths of the networks must be continuously extended due to an increasing demand for data volume.
Nevertheless, costs and energy consumption should not rise any further. As a result, network operators need to fundamentally transform and optimize their communication infrastructures.
Meeting these challenges requires new network infrastructure concepts. On one hand, network functions need to be rigidly consolidated and on the other hand service functions of the network levels must be made more flexible.
Two recent public Github projects of SilverEngine
show that rather complex, fully programmable and highly performant, multi-threading network stacks can be built with surprisingly low effort on top of general-purpose processors. This becomes possible through:
- Use of a modern programming language like Rust, providing powerful abstractions which guarantee memory-safety and thread-safety, thus allowing to eliminate many classes of concurrency bugs at compile-time already
- Re-use of a recent open source library which provides a Rust based network abstraction layer on top of the C-based DPDK
- Use of a real-time tuned Linux OS-kernel
Some potential use cases:
- Intelligent load balancing and forwarding, especially of control plane traffic
- Traffic generators, proxies, gateways, etc.
- Dynamic firewalls, DOS mitigation, network access control, etc.
- Programmable and performant user-space network functions complementing or replacing OS functions
- Processing of IoT traffic
Our approach - sustainable & proven
SilverEngine helps network operators analyze and optimize the network infrastructure to build a scalable, robust and future-oriented architecture of communications networks.
SilverEngine pays special attention to pragmatic and realistic concepts that, on one hand, take into account the complexity of technological changes, but at the same time identify and realize quick wins along the transformation process.
Analyze current network and technological situation as well as evaluate identified weaknesses
To-be architecture of network
Develop tailor made solutions for a robust and scalable architecture of next-generation network
Design of transformation
Evaluate different approaches for transformation and migration as well as develop a staged technological change program optimizing technological advancements and economic output
Implementation of next-generation networks
Migrate subscriber data using state-of-the-art tools as well as lead and provide technical support for transformation
SilverEngine's team combines knowledge about latest technologies with long-standing experience in implementing and operating solutions integrated into telecom networks.
Whitepaper & Brochures
Hear about our view on the further evolution of the network technology with focus on the data/user plane of the service edge. For the use case “Virtual Residential Gateway”, a prototype implementation of a service data plane on top of the Linux kernel is presented… mehr
Energy efficiency is the key to the evolution of networks and the data plane technology. The slide set summarizes recent approaches in this direction… mehr